Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tutorial: White / Grey Hair without Murdering It

 This past Sunday, I dyed my hair white / grey! Since I've seen a few people online wondering how to do this without your hair falling out, I thought I'd make a tutorial. Warning: If your hair is darker than light brown, it'll take weeks or months to accomplish without your hair getting ruined. You'll have to be ok with having strange hair for a while. So without further ado, how to dye your hair white / grey!


(How to get white / grey hair without going bald after the jump.)

 1) Lighten your hair to a very pale yellow. If you're hair is darker than light brown, then it might take a few lightening sessions. I recommend letting your hair rest a week or two before re-lightening and using deep / healing conditioner, so that it doesn't suffer too much and turns into hay. I always use L'oreal Ultra Blonde lightener (Walmart, $10), but instead of using the conditioner packet, I use One 'n Only Shiny Silver Ultra Shampoo after rinsing and then Ion Moisturizing Treatment conditioner to keep it soft. This is about the color you'll need (sorry, most recent photo I had. lol).


 2) Use a toner / hair dye with purple or blue tones. The purple or blue tones will cancel out the yellow tone in your hair, making it grey or white. Always follow the directions on the bottle or box precisely and make sure you watch your hair closely as it processes, otherwise it can turn purple or blue. That might be fine for some people, but I don't think your boss at the law firm you work for will be into it. Luckily for you, the purple or blue shouldn't be permanent and fades after a couple washes, leaving it white or grey. I used Wella Color Charm in #T18 Lightest Ash Blonde, aka "White Lady", with Color Charm 20 volume creme developer for 10 minutes, used dandruff shampoo, since it really cleans out whatever is left in your hair, and used regular conditioner, and this is the color I got (still kind of damp hair, partially blow dried). Also, here's a picture of what the toner should look like in your hair.


 3) Style and enjoy! When it's completely dry, go ahead and style it any way you like and smile as others gawk at your awesome hair. If you're using heated hair tools, like blow dryers, flat irons, and curling irons, I suggest using a heat protecting spray. Also, use the purple shampoo at least once each week to keep your hair from turning yellow / brassy.


Good luck on your new hair endeavor, I hope this helps! :)


All photos by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment